Gladys Melina Kalichini was born in Chingola, Copperbelt-Zambia. She is a working artist with a studio space at the Arts Academy Without Walls in the Showgrounds of Lusaka. She graduated from the University of Zambia in 2013 with a merit (Barchelor of Arts in Economics with a minor in Demography (Population Studies)). She is currently on Airtel Zambia’s gradate programme.
Most of her work is as a result of interaction and self research of the visual arts as well as exploration of population theories, and demographic features of Zambia. She is particularly fascinated by topics of social imbalance in the third world. Having a background in economics, with a lot of graphs with clean lines, the idea of clean repeatitive lines is seen in her work.
She primarily works with acrylic paints on canvas. She is intrigued by the textures and bold lines in compositions.In her creative process she finds it very interesting how one line leads to the next mark, as well as one drawing developing into some form, a being.
Other than producing her own work, Gladys has worked with children with an artist collaboration called art4art creating a large scale collage for the Centre for Disease Control (cdc) office in Lusaka as well as the Elizabeth Glaser Padiatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) . The drawings incorporate sentences, letters, marks and words generated by the children.
- National Exhibition – Henry Tayali Galery, Lusaka-2010,2012
- Lusaka My City – 37D Gallery, Lusaka, 2013
- Corporate Dimensions – American Chamber of Commerce, Lusaka, 2012
- Black History Month-Heroes and Heroines – Lusaka National Museum, Lusaka, 2010
- November Features – Emergent Artspace, San Francisco, 2013
Selected Workshops/ Projects:
- African Guenica – Lusaka
- Anti Retroviral Man (ARM)-art4art- Lusaka
- Have a Safe Valentines Day -art4art/ Marie Stopes and Tiny Timmy and Friends- Lusaka
- Cultural Heritage-Insakaartits – Livingstone
- Animalfwafwas – art4art/ Barefeet-Lusaka